Skip to main content

Japanese crossover aprons with some help from Simplicity 8816


A few steam-burned fingers and 4 hours later, two linen Japanese-style crossover aprons for Christmas gifts. I had made View A from the apron pattern Simplicity 8816 for my mom; the overall fit was good so I used that as the template for drafting a freehand crossover apron in terms of apron length and width and strap length. An internet search on crossover apron pattern brought up some images that I eyed while sketching a pattern.


Instead of using bias tape to finish the edges, I made a narrow hem. The key to getting everything to lay flat and have a relatively even width was lots of steam ironing after every step. The steam made the linen behave at the cost of a few tender fingers. The strap width as drawn is 5 inches, but with the narrow hem, the finished strap width was a perfect fit and didn't extend over my shoulders.

Where the back portion meets the front, I finished with a French seam for a cleaner finish and to reduce the chances of linen fraying and topstitched the resulting seam down. The gray apron is a heavier linen and so sits a little bit better on the body. Any future aprons will probably be best served using a similar weight; the white linen apron is probably too light. I had thought about making one using denim, but the shoulder seam would be too thick for my sewing machine to handle.

All in all, a fairly quick make; having only one piece to work with and sewing a narrow hem resulted in a very satisfying make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…