Skip to main content

Elsa Dress - McCall's MP381/Kid

I read a while back that McCall's had capitalized on the Frozen craze and released a pattern to make both the Anna and the Elsa dress. I found the pattern and mistakenly promised my nieces to make them an Elsa dress. I finished one and won't be making another one any time soon, so they can fight over the one.

Front and back of the dress
But if I were to make it again, I would use french seams instead of doublestitching to better secure the seams (the fabrics are fiddly and fray quite easily) and for a cleaner finish. The zipper would have to be shortened as well. It's all well and good that the upper portion is covered for the most part by the lining, but the longer edge that extends into the back can't be all the comfortable for the wearer.

Inside of the dress.

All in all, the first dress is a wearable muslin, and although there were a lot of pieces, the dress was easy to put together. It just takes a lot of time. Hence just this one for now.

Comments

  1. Very nice!
    I'm also trying to make the same dress, but are having problems turning the lining inside after attaching it to the bodice and yoke. Did you have similar problems or perhaps I can't visualize how to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I recall, I hand sewed the bodice to the skirt.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reviewing the pattern. I will start now and go slowly. My local Joann's is getting low on fancy blue fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…