Skip to main content

Paper Pieced Lily Hot Pad

While wasting time one evening, I visited the web site for Art Gallery fabrics and saw this project to make a paper pieced lily. The PDF pattern is slightly different from the finished project shown in that the leaves on the reference sheet (page 2) have the leaves in pieces, but the pattern pieces are one whole. A small error in the pattern is that piece f should be a mirror image of piece e. If you piece as shown on the pattern, then both leaves are facing one direction rather than facing each other.

Who needs sleep? I was instantly interested in trying out the pattern; it seemed a quick and relatively painless quilt block that could be replicated en masse to make a small quilt. Turns out that paper piecing takes a lot longer than strip quilting and wastes lots more fabric too, but I was too into the project to give up.

Through trial and error and after way more time than expected, I ended up making and stopping at two: one blue and one yellow.



To make these experiments useful rather than just exercises in frustration, I made them into hot pads: quilted pieced top, insulbright (shiny side up), batting, and backing fabric. After some dense straight line quilting to squish the whole thing flat, I used some leftover 2" strips to make the binding and slipstitched it on.

As the pattern said, each hot pad is roughly 8" x 10", which is a decent size for the average pot in my mother's kitchen.

Comments

  1. Haha! I was WONDERING what you've been up to! No wonder you've been so quiet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…