Skip to main content

Mail Organizer - Happy Dance

I ran across this idea for a mail organizer from Cotton Time. I forget which blog I was looking at that had a screen shot of the magazine page. Not having the measurements or directions, I winged it and am very pleased with the result.


I first drew a scaled picture on graph paper  and decided that the best size would be 18" x 20" for the background. Then I thought about what I wanted this organizer to do and drew in the pockets and determined what each pocket's size should be. When all was finished, the actual size is more like 18" x 21".

To make it, I used two fat quarters for the background and trimmed them to shape. I interfaced one fat quarter with decor bond and the other with fusible batting for some rigidity and shape. The fabric for the pockets comes from a repurposed 2009 fabric calendar from Japan. Each pocket was interfaced with decor bond. The pockets were then secured to the background with a zig zag stitch. At the bottom are six buttons to hold hanging type things.

Overall I'm very happy with the end result, although I'm slightly annoyed that the deer pocket is crooked. I have no idea what the zipper bear pocket would hold, but it's a nifty little touch. The zipper pull is an elephant charm. 


The dark circles look more like buttons that they are in the picture below.


This took a few hours to make... maybe 4-5 hours from start to finish, but my entry way looks so much better now.


Were I to make this again, I probably would reinforce the the background mat just a tad more. It's fairly strong and keeps its shape reasonably well, but it does bend a little when there are a lot of things in the two bottom pockets. It's not a deal breaker though.


The little crocheted bags hanging from the buttons were made by my mom. Each bag takes about one hour to make and the pattern is from a Japanese craft book. They are all functional and would make great ornaments.

Comments

  1. Wonderful! You could store your stamps and return labels in the zippered pocket.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…