Skip to main content

Lisette Foreign Exchange Bag - View D

I was on a bag-making roll and decided to make view D of the Lisette Foreign Exchange Bag pattern.


Working with a more muted color palette than suggested on the pattern cover, I used some Japanese taupe fabric. It's hard to see in the picture, but the fabric has a wonderfully nubby woven texture and feels just a bit more expensive than normal quilting cotton. And I also got to use a fun super large button.

View D (12" x 17") is a much smaller bag than the View B bag (14" x 18") so all I needed for the exterior and handles were 2 fat quarters of the lighter color and 1 fat quarter of the darker one. The interior used the remaining bit of the darker fat quarter and one additional fat quarter of a coordinating color.

I also wanted to alter the pattern a bit and try to install a top zipper for the first time. It was a lot of fiddly work and the zipper didn't come out perfectly, but it's a solid first attempt.


Were I to make this bag again, I would fuse batting on both the exterior and the lining. This one only has batting on the lining because I didn't want the exterior to look wrinkly, but the fabric is such that wrinkling adds to its charms. I also would use a different interfacing for the handles. Maybe some thinner batting for cushioning. The one I used was the sew in kind and the result is a bit of crunchy feel to the handles. Interfacing the inset and zipper parts with decor bond was a good idea. It helped to have that extra firmness and solidity when working with the zipper. Also, I hate basting, but when making this bag, basting was my friend and it helped everything from getting frustratingly wonky.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…