Skip to main content

Field Study hourglass quilt - in progress

I visited a new to me quilt store The Sewing Party in Laguna Hills. A bit of a drive, but what a fun store with amazing products. I ended up buying some fat quarters of Kaffe Fasset shot cottons and a charm pack of Anna Maria Horner's new line, Field Study. Now I understand the fascination with shot cottons. They're gorgeous, have a sheen, and amazing texture.


The fabric is actually woven with two different colored threads, so in the case of the fabric above, a turquoise thread is woven with a pink thread, like so


So cool. The fabric behind it has threads of purple and red. And, serendipitously, the random fat quarters I picked (they were so pretty; I was like a magpie picking up shiny object after shiny object), match perfectly with the Field Study fabric line.


I love that orange on top. So as not to waste any of the fabric and show it off optimally, I opted for the hourglass quilt block. I ended up making 146 hourglass blocks.


The blocks took a while to sew and then finish. I think the quilt will be the blocks set on point across rows and then a pieced border using the remaining shot cotton.



30 - 6" squares of Field Study
 +
2.5  yards of white cut into 6" squares
 +
15 coordinating fat quarters to cut 43 - 6" squares
 =
146 - 5" hourglass blocks

Some great tutorials re: making hourglass blocks the easy way:

This is how I make mine: Diary of a Quilter
Another option: Red Pepper Quilts
And a video: Missouri Quilt Company 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…