Skip to main content


Showing posts from October, 2012

Boy quilt - blues, grays, and browns

It's so much more fun to make a quilt with a recipient in mind. A friend is having her first child: a boy. Not knowing the color scheme, if any, of the child's nursery, I figured the classic boy colors of blue, gray, and brown would be safe and perhaps a bit more sophisticated than the traditional baby blue.

I picked out a fun mix of colors, textures, and shapes to make the quilt. It's a simple, but classic, square design. The quilting is parallel to the seams for stability and then diagonally for some additional strength and as a design element.

Each of the fabrics has a story and come from as far away as Tokyo. The fabrics are flannels, quilting cottons, linen, and organic cotton.

The mom is musically gifted, so using the musical fabric for the binding and some of the squares is perfect.

Finished size: roughly 35" x 40"
17 different fabric lines cut into 5" squares

Double hourglass quilt

The New York quilt remains on hold waiting for inspiration to strike. In the meantime, a double hourglass quilt:

Stupid me though. Instead of making the quilt the easy way by strip piecing (see this tutorial), I painstakingly cut up my strips into 5" and 10" pieces to make each of the quarter triangle pieces (a la the Short Story quilt pattern in Schnibbles Times Two), which meant the quilt took way longer than it should have. Different methods; same quilt block.

In a nod to New York, the back of the quilt:

And the final touch, diagonal stripes for the binding. In a bit of a lucky break, I chose the colors and layout for the quilt independent of the binding, but then remembered I had the striped fabric in my stash and that the colors coordinated perfectly.

Final size: about 44" square with lots of straight line quilting for added stability and durability.

Garden Party quilt

Many, many years ago, I came across this pattern on the old Moda web site. It's still available online here.

It's such a clever reworking of the traditional Dresden plate block. I printed the pattern out and stored it for just the right marriage of fabric, time, and recipient. The day has come.

Using the Strawberry Fields fabric line from Fig Tree Quilts and some fabric from my stash, I got caught up in making the petals.

But now I'm stuck. I had enough fabric to make 15 flowers, but to make a symmetrical quilt, I need 16. Sigh. I'll have to wait again until the motivation hits to figure out a workaround. Ideally the motivation will hit before Christmas.