Skip to main content

Lisette foreign exchange bag 1905

Simplicity partnered with Liesl and Co. of Oliver+S fame to produce some patterns, including this bag. Joann had a sale so I bought the pattern super cheap. I made bag B.


It's a good size bag (14" x 18"). I couldn't find any reviews online from people who made the bag, so this one was made cold. I heavily interfaced this bag and so it's super sturdy. Having made it once though, I would not follow the directions as provided with the bag. But only because I like to do things a certain way. For example, the instructions say to construct the main part of the bag first and then attach the band. I would prefer attaching the band to the front panel and then stitching the full panel together.

The instructions seemed to omit some steps and a bit of common sense is needed to make sense of the bag's construction. For example, the instructions for the lining don't explicitly state to attach the bottom panel so if a person reads the instructions and infers the construction from the drawings, then I could see how a person would simply sew the lining panels together and omit the bottom. Or maybe that's just me. Still the bag is cute and would make a great gift.

The instructions for installing a zippered inside pocket were easy to follow, but it helps to have done the technique before.


I was sloppy when slipping the lining inside the bag and ended up with the zippered side flush with the front of the bag so that when I open the bag, the zippered pocket is facing me instead of being flush against my body. Not a deal breaker, but definitely a "doh!" moment.


The other side has a slip pocket for phones, pens, etc.

Comments

  1. Your bag came out great! I made view C and made the mistake you mention, forgetting to sew in the bottom of the lining because of the way the picture was drawn. Oops! But I seam ripped it and then fixed it. What can you do, right?

    What kind of interfacing did you use? I made mine with Pellon 910 but I was using a decor fabric which was heavier. Next time, I'll use 923 with quilting quality cotton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Denise,
      Thanks! I used Pellon 70 - Peltex Sew in Weight. The fabric is also a very sturdy home decor fabric and is a bit like canvas.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…