Skip to main content

Knitting Needle Roll

An overdue birthday present for a super-talented friend who knits, among other things. The fabric line is Strawberry Fields, and I bought it specifically for her, not knowing what to make from it, only knowing that it was her to a "T".


Duh. Make a roll to hold her knitting and crochet needles... I ended up making the exterior by piecing a variety of the fabrics to make a mini-quilt and quilting it in diagonal lines.

a close up of the front
Many of the online tutorials finish the roll with a ribbon or elastic. When I made this type of roll before, I was really unhappy with the elastic because it stretches and then putting in a new one is a big pain. And the ribbon, while a nice idea, is annoying to tie and untie. So I decided to use two d-rings to make a sort-of belt for the roll.


Here's a close-up of the rings as attached to the front before the entire roll was sewn together. I cut a piece of fabric 4" wide and about 17" long so that once folded, it finished at 1" wide and 17" long. One end was finished, the other left with raw edges I then looped the two d-rings through the raw edges end and tacked it in place as shown above.


The inside has three rows of pockets to hold needles and other stuff. Not being a knitter or crocheter, I have no idea how many pockets are needed or what size they should be so thank goodness for online tutorials.

Comments

  1. nice. the d-ring makes much more sense than elastic or a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…