Skip to main content

Lemonade

As in making lemonade from lemons. Which suits this quilt perfectly. Because pretty much everything that could go wrong in making this simple quilt did. For whatever reason, I was just not on my game.
"Lemonade": 39" square
Long-time friends commissioned me to make a baby quilt as a gift for one of their friends. They asked for something playful and liked the colors blue, green and yellow. I had been wanting to make a hexagon quilt so this was the perfect opportunity.

My first mistake was that I didn't have enough fabric of the main print to make 9 hexagons, so I had to figure something else out. Because my friends had asked that I personalize this quilt for the boy, I thought I would just applique the name in the extra square and be extra fancy and also add the Chinese name.

Rejected square re-purposed into a pillow

Second mistake. Because the pieces are so small, machine appliqueing the pieces made the texture way too rough for a baby's quilt. But I had already incorporated the square into the quilt row. Which meant I had to take apart my row and sew in a new square.  But I put so much work into designing, cutting out, and then appliqueing the letters that I was loathe to just toss the applique into the trash. So I sat on it and decided to eventually add borders to make the piece big enough for something. Then I sat on it some more and after 3 days figured that I could try to make it into a funky throw pillow.

I had some very fun Japanese fabric from the Long Beach quilt show so I cut it up to make an envelope back. I also had to line the appliqued piece to protect the seams and keep them from unraveling in case the putting in and taking out of a pillow insert would rub the seams too roughly. Lemonade out of a lemon.

Third mistake. Despite measuring three times before cutting, the square that I had to put in to replace the rejected applique square was too small and the result was too ugly. So out came the seam ripper again. It took me four tries to get the right size square. Too many late nights perhaps?

It took me three tries to get the name appliqued correctly. Sheesh.
Hooray though for my new sewing machine. Look at how big the space is between the needle and the rest of the machine (aka the "throat"). Made all the custom quilting much easier to do.


Some close ups of my sketch-like quilting.

lots of doodles to offset the angularity of the hexagons
And the back


This quilt was a lot of fun to plan and quilt. I  hope that it is well-used and well-loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…