Skip to main content

A is for Apron

For my sister's birthday, I made her the Mango Tango apron from the book A is for Apron.



The pattern could have been written better and the pattern itself differs slightly from the picture in the book. Here is what I learned:

Firstly, the pattern in the book needs to be enlarged 400%. Rather than try to figure out how to accurately enlarge the image on a copy machine and then tile the resulting sheets of paper, I went to Kinko's. The lady who was at the counter was extremely helpful. She suggested that I first photo copy the page at regular size and then run that copy through the scanner for the large format copying machine. Otherwise I would have had to rip apart the book to get the page to feed through the scanner.

A word to the wise, the large copies are not cheap. I copied three patterns in the book and ended up paying more for the copies than the book itself.

Secondly, the neck straps are a bit short so I would lengthen the straps by at least one inch on each side or try to make them adjustable.

Thirdly, the center rectangle panel is completely missing from the pattern. I had to read the instructions a few time to make sure that I just wasn't paying attention. I simply cut a rectangle 3" high and the width of the top pattern piece. If making this apron for a short-waisted person like me then I wouldn't add the rectangle. But if the person has a long or regular length torso, then adding the rectangle would help make the apron fit better.

Fourthly, I would lengthen the ties if the intended wearer is an American size 8 or larger. Which means that the fabric would have to be 1.5 yards instead of the recommended 1 yard.

With the leftover fabric, I had just enough to make one matching oven mitt.

The picture would be better with actual cupcakes instead of empty liners.
And because I don't like wrapping things in paper anymore given how much fabric I have, I made a tote to hold all the items. Eventually everyone in my family will have enough totes to change them daily.

The bag has an interior pocket and a magnetic snap.

Comments

  1. I recently saw A is for Apron at Barnes and Noble and put it on my wish list for when I have time to advance in my sewing. I LOVE the matching cooking mitt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.


The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.


For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.


Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)


To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.


Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…