Skip to main content

Quilts in progress

Despite spending most of the weekend and a few hours here and there sewing after work, there isn't much to show for it in completed projects. But here's a peek at some of the projects I'm working one:

Appliqueing each flower using the needle-turn method is going faster than I expected, but each block still takes about 2 hours to complete. Two flowers down, four more to go. I hope to have this quilt completed just in time for spring 2011.

I started this quilt at least 2 years ago and have been making the monkey wrench blocks in fits and starts. 70 blocks completed, only 36 more to go. My goal is to piece the top by the end of this year. Doable, yes?

This one was supposed to be a birthday present, but I missed that deadline by a mile. It's on track to be a Christmas gift instead. The backing, which is what is shown here, is a soft cuddly fleece, perfect for warding off those "chilly" Southern California evenings.

And I still have to quilt and bind my sister's "I'm Blushing" quilt in time for Christmas. The top is done and so is the quilt back. I just have to figure out how I want to quilt it and then actually do it instead of thinking about the quilt design some more.

Then I can get started on some baby quilts and more Christmas quilts gifts and other quilt patterns I've been eyeing and some handbags and...


  1. wow! those flowers are gorgeous!

  2. the monkey block one looks crazy. boy, you should just do this as a full time business.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nautical quilt 2 finished

This quilt was a lot of fun to finish. There's just something about red, white, and blue that is so uplifting and cheerful.

The design is fairly simple. A panel in the center with the pieced blocks acting as a border and a very fun blue and white stripe fabric for the binding. It actually took me some time to accept this simple design. I kept wanting to fussy it up a bit, but sometimes simple is best.

For the back of the quilt, I had a variety of nautical themed fabric that I wanted to incorporate. The pieced back also was a great way to use up some of my fabric stash.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet

In preparation and anticipation for an upcoming trip, I decided to make a travel wallet to hold my boarding pass, hotel reservation confirmation, and other miscellaneous papers (letter size and A4); a moleskine notebook; pen; passport; and frequent flier card so that everything is in one place and I don't have to fumble around in my purse or backpack.

Version 1 of the travel wallet ended up being too wide for my tastes, so I altered it. What follows below is the tutorial for the original version (Version 1) and the edited version (Version 2).

Feel free to email me at serendipitijoy at gmail dot com if you have any questions or if some of the directions are unclear.

The travel wallet is not limited for just travel, but can be made for every day use as well.

Tutorial: Travel Wallet
Version 1 Finished Size: 10" x 10" (when closed)
Version 2 Finished Size: 7" x 10" (when closed)

To start:
Cut out all your pieces. To provide some additional stability, I fused Pellon…

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Jewels

Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side has been great about hosting a virtual quilt show on her blog. If you have a quilt that you would like to share with the rest of blog land, go ahead and sign up for the fall 2010 festival. It runs from October 29 - November 5.

The quilt that I'm sharing about is one that I made for my mom and took me approximately 1.5 years to finish and was my first (and probably last) king-sized quilt.  Not necessarily because the piecing was difficult, but more because I couldn't make up my mind about the layout design and then later, the actual quilting.

Roughly into my second year of quilting, my mom kind of jokingly asked when I was going to make her a quilt for her bed.  So I eventually came up with an initial design and bought a boatload of fabric in early 2009. However, during the course of the year I kept changing my mind about the quilt design because the fabric and the designs didn't work. I couldn't find the right fit between the fabric…